E Benefits (Reviewed 2/09/15)
Cook Memorial Library refers to the Town of Tamworth’s policy on health insurance benefits for full-time library employees.
The full time (35-hours per week) library director may participate in the Town’s Medical Insurance plan. Effective 7/1/2014 the medical insurance premium for the employee is paid 93% by the library and 7% by the employee. The library also pays 80% of the 2nd person and the employee is responsible for the additional 20% and the balance for the family plan. Specific information about medical plan coverage, co-payments, and primary care physicians may be obtained through the Selectmen’s Office.
A 2-person plan may include the following: a married couple, a parent and child, and domestic partners (as defined by the insurance company, with the exception that they must have resided together for a minimum of 4 years).
Full-Time Employees, if carrying health insurance by a different health insurance provider and providing documentation of same on an annual basis to the library, may receive a stipend equivalent to one half of the premium that the Town would pay for a single individual health insurance plan. Effective 7/1/2013 the stipend offered to employees under this policy will remain ½ of the premium that the board of trustees would pay for a single individual health insurance plan to a maximum capped amount of $300 per month. The library director is also eligible for a dental plan through the Town of Tamworth.
• Permanent employees of the Library will be eligible for paid vacation per year, based on budgeted hours per week, as follows:
a. Full-time Library Director: Eligible for two weeks vacation after a 90-day probationary period. A full-time director who has worked for five years will be granted a three week vacation; ten years a four week vacation and eighteen years a five week vacation. Also receives annually: 5 bereavement days, 6 sick days and 2 personal days (non-accruing).
b. All part-time staff who have worked less than five years: one week, and more than five years: two weeks
• During the first year of employment, employees will be eligible for a pro-rated portion of the vacation time based on each full month worked: e.g., an assistant librarian who begins employment in mid-May will be entitled to one-half week of vacation in the first year of employment.
• Vacation will be earned at the rate of 1/12 of the total annual allotment for each month during the year in which it is issued.
• Employees may take the vacation time for which they are eligible at any time during the year with prior approval from either the board of trustees, in the case of the library director, or from the library director, in the case of the rest of the staff.
• If the employee leaves the employment of the library prior to the end of the calendar year, he/she shall be entitled to receive the amount of vacation pay that has been earned but not taken as of the date of separation. The dollar value of vacation time that has been taken but not earned shall be deducted from the final paycheck.
• Employees will be paid for vacation at the rate of pay and scheduled hours in effect at the time the vacation is taken, and dollar value of unused or unearned vacation at time of separation will be calculated on the same basis.
• Employees are expected to take the full amount of their vacation time in the year in which it is allotted.
• The following holidays are observed by the library: New Years Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans’ Day, Thanksgiving, December 24th & December 25th, 4 p.m. closing on Thanksgiving Eve and December 31st.
• Any permanent employees scheduled to work on any one of the above holidays is entitled to be paid for their normal shift.