We are looking forward to getting new carpet. Our new carpet will be installed beginning September 16. The project involves two contractors working in cooperation and tandem, one will move and replace the books and shelving, one will install the carpet. For information about library hours and services during the installation, see https://tamworthlibrary.org/2019/08/library-closed-9-16-9-24-come-see-us-at-the-town-house/
New carpet does have a smell that can affect some people. After we reopen, our library will have a “new carpet” smell. For our chemically sensitive patrons, please note:
- The carpet we chose has low-VOCs (volatile organic compound)
- The adhesive has no (zero) VOCs and is solvent free. If you would like to see the Safety Data Sheet for the adhesive, please see Mary Cronin.
We planned the carpeting project for September because windows can be opened to allow off-gassing of the new carpet to happen quickly. If you feel that you cannot use the library during the time it takes for the smell to go away, we offer these alternatives:
- Visit another nearby library. Chocorua Public Library is right here in Tamworth, and Tamworth residents (full and part time) can use their Cook Library card at Madison, Conway, and Jackson libraries.
- Use our public computers on the lower level which has no carpet.
- Request temporary home delivery of library materials.
Library staff will also be able to adjust their time in the new carpet area if necessary, by working off-site or downstairs.