Beginning May 19, 2020, the Cook Memorial Library resumed curbside pickup of library materials.
The decision to resume lending library books and other physical media was authorized by the Board of Trustees on May 11, 2020. The plan for providing curbside service follows Universal Guidelines listed in Governor Sununu’s Economic Reopening Task Force’s Stay at Home 2.0 plan. The protocols and procedures developed are based on CDC recommendations and best currently known practices for handling library materials during a pandemic.*
All library services provided during the COVID-19 pandemic are subject to change based on local conditions. It may become necessary for us to scale back services at any time. Our first priority is the safety of our staff and patrons. Check the library website, https://tamworthlibrary.org for service updates.
Here is how curbside service will work:
- Pickup times will be Tuesdays and Fridays from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Wednesdays from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Please read and follow instructions on signs posted at the pickup area in front of the library building.
- The book return has been opened, please return borrowed library items there. (Please, no donations of books or other media at this time.)
- All library materials that were checked out in March have been renewed until May 30, 2020.
How do I know what’s available to borrow for curbside pickup?
Search our online catalog. Our catalog is shared with Madison Library, Jackson Public Library, and Conway Public Library. You may request (with some limitations) items from the other libraries, which will be transferred to Tamworth for curbside pickup. Interlibrary loan service from libraries outside our four-library coopeative is not available right now.
How do I request materials for pickup?
You have several options for requesting materials:
- Place holds on specific titles by logging in to your account on our online library catalog. Items available at Cook Library will be ready to pickup sooner than items from the other three libraries.
- Use our online “request for curbside pickup” form to request specific titles or to ask a librarian to choose items for you.
- Call us at 323-8510. We will return messages and will be happy to help you.
How will I know when my library items are ready for pickup?
- A staff member will contact you by phone, email or text to let you know when they are ready for pickup.
- Due to COVID-19 materials handling protocols, it is likely you will not be able to pick up on the same day that you make a request. Please plan ahead. We appreciate your patience.
How are library materials being handled?
- All returned items are quarantined (not handled) in a designated area in the library for at least 72 hours before staff members check them in and shelve them. All items coming in from other libraries are handled the same way.
- Staff is following CDC guidelines for cleaning and disinfecting their hands and work areas.
- We will follow all current and updated guidelines for handling library materials during a pandemic. We cannot guarantee that library materials are virus free. Please make the best decision for you and your family when choosing to borrow library materials.
- Items for pickup are packed and dated with date packed. We ask you to make your best decision on when to unpack the materials after bringing them home.
What if I can’t get to the library during the designated pickup times?
We are planning to add pickup days and times, and will add a home delivery option in June. We will post changes to services on our website and post updates to the same places we posted this message.
Remember, we have online materials, including ebooks and downloadable audiobooks. Ask us how to get started. We are willing to provide one-on-one assistance by phone or email.
*We are closely tracking the progress on the report of a research and laboratory testing project jointly sponsored by library, museum, and archives organizations: https://www.webjunction.org/explore-topics/COVID-19-research-project.html