Streaming video with your library card
The library now offers an even wider selection of films, from documentaries to educational films for children, with Kanopy, a streaming video service. Interested in creating an account to watch films at home or anywhere with an Internet connection?
- Visit https://tamworthlibrary.kanopy.com/.
- Click “Add Library Card” (note that Kanopy is offered to resident and part-time resident cardholders only. Nonresident cardholders should check with their home library for access to Kanopy)
- Enter library card number found on back of library card (no spaces)
- Enter your name, email address and create a password
That’s it! Once you are logged in, you will have access to more than 30,000 films.
Questions? Try Kanopy’s online Help page, or call the library at 603-323-8510 or stop in and ask.
What is Kanopy?
Kanopy is a video streaming service for quality, thoughtful entertainment. Find movies, documentaries, foreign films, classic cinema, independent films and educational videos that inspire, enrich and entertain. Kanopy partners with public libraries to bring viewers an ad-free experience that can be enjoyed on a TV, mobile phones, tablets and online.
How is Kanopy free for me?
Just as your library buys books to add to its collection for you to borrow, your library offers a variety of digital resources too, including e-books, downloadable audiobooks from Overdrive/Libby and streaming video through Kanopy. Your library covers all associated costs, allowing you to watch for free with no ads.
What are play credits and how many do I receive through my library?
- Play credits are used to play videos on Kanopy. You will receive 5 play credits per month through the Cook Memorial Library.
- Each video will use 1 play credit each. Exceptions: Kanopy Kids has unlimited plays. You may view one series of Great Courses per month.
- Once you press play on a video and a play credit has been used, you will have 3 days to view it as many times as you like without using another play credit.
- Your play credits will reset back to 5 on the 1st day of each month. Kanopy does offer a variety of films for “Credit-Free Viewing” to use while you’re waiting for a new month to start.
Where can I go to see how many credits I have left?
Look at the upper right hand corner of the website. There will be a number in a square with the amount of credits that you have left.
How do I get started?
- Getting started is easy! Go onto the Kanopy website and enter your library card information. Or stop in and we can help you set up an library card account. 😊
- Follow the simple instructions to create your Kanopy account using your email address or Facebook/Google login and then start watching.
What is Kanopy Kids?
Kanopy Kids is a collection of movies and shows for kids available from public libraries only. Cook Memorial Library offers unlimited plays in Kanopy Kids, so your kids are free to explore enriching, educational and entertaining films and TV series.
Are there parental controls?
How to access parental controls:
1. In the upper right hand corner, there will be a tab with your name on it. Select the tab, and click on the “Parental Control Tab.”
2. Select the orange “turn on” tab.
3. Enter a four digit pin of your choice.
4. To exit Kanopy Kids, you will need to enter your PIN.
On which devices is Kanopy available?
Kanopy is available via an array of apps on the TV, phone, tablet, and computer.
TV APPS: A Kanopy app is currently available for the TV devices below.
- Apple TV and Airplay
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android TV
- Samsung Smart TV
- Telstra TV
If you do not have access to any of the above devices, you can also view Kanopy on your television by connecting your computer to your television via HDMI cable.
MOBILE APPS: A Kanopy app is currently available for the mobile devices below.
- iOS devices
- Android devices
- Amazon Fire tablets